Tuesday, April 9, 2013

How I Live with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy


Hey everyone my name is Stephen Rysen and here is my story:

At the age of five I was diagnosed with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy in 1988. Today they are able to diagnose the patient at the age of two. Hopefully one day it will be done sooner to get the treatment going more rapidly. Before I was diagnosed with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy there were signs I was born with it. I could not walk properly, could not climb out of boxes if I sat in one, climbing stairs, losing my balance, could not drive a tricycle and getting tired easily. Between the age of 5-13 I needed equipment for my feet, for standing, for mobility and a lifting system. Ankle foot orthotics were used to keep my feet stretched to allow me to wear shoes. Leg braces were used for me to stand up and to allow me to walk when I could not walk anymore. It was also used for posture in my back. The steroids were used to gain some strength and prolong the weakening of muscles. I stopped walking at the age of nine and at the age of 11. I got power wheelchair a couple months before my 14th birthday. Ended up getting my feet and back operated on a few days before my 14th birthday. The scoliosis was repaired by the back surgery making it 100% straight and the feet being repaired allowed me to wear shoes in the future without wearing ankle foot orthotics and to go without ankle foot orthotics. The final years of being a teenager I ended up on heart medication to improve my heart and to prevent further deterioration. My heart deterioration was repaired by 50% with the heart medication. I ended up on nighttime ventilation at the age of 20 and daytime ventilation at the age of 28. During the day I do breath-stacking exercises with a manual pump done by my caregivers. I also do breath stacking by breathing in as much air as possible then exhale. Thanks to research I am one of the oldest without a tracheostomy at the age of 31 :).

It is tough having Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy but I have found positives dealing with this obstacle in my way. I am fortunate to have a supportive mother, sister, father, caregivers, friends and firefighters to fight muscular dystrophy. At the age of six, a year after being diagnosed with DMD and moving to the Vancouver area, I was fortunate enough to make friends who ended up being supportive of me. When I entered high school I found more supportive friends. This support has allowed me to go to college to earn a couple of certificates and a diploma.

After going to Muscular Dystrophy Firefighter Conferences I found out that the firefighters were a supportive brotherhood & sisterhood for their fellow firefighters and people with neuromuscular disorders. Even firefighters are good to assist people with Muscular Dystrophy who are dealing with a loss of a friend from muscular dystrophy. The firefighter I was thanking for helping out at the boot drive said we are here for you and we will continue fighting Muscular Dystrophy with you after I told him I was grieving over the loss of a friend who lost the battle with Muscular Dystrophy. It actually got me out of the depression from the grieving I was going through. Firefighters I have met are passionate about fundraising for Muscular Dystrophy like their profession. I have met loyal muscular dystrophy fundraising firefighters in person and on Twitter and Facebook. Their passion for assisting in the fight for Muscular Dystrophy has motivated me to fundraise since 2008.

I have been participating in the Safeway Walk for Muscular Dystrophy since 2008 because it gives me a purpose to life. My fundraising for Muscular Dystrophy Canada provides people living with Muscular Dystrophy: career programs, support groups, equipment costs and research to discover breakthroughs and a cure.

Thank you for reading my story, Stephen Rysen

No comments:

Post a Comment